25.6.09

3. Open-minded? NOT.

I just got back from a family vacation today & I'm here to report two unsettling incidences involving closed-mindedness, which I absolutely despise. Plus, open-mindedness is a main AFS value. Main.

ONE. (i'm totally against editing my blog but this example was just too shameful to bear. i'm sry to the person that this was about...& even this next one, i can't exactly say i'm proud...i apologize in advance...10.08.09)

TWO. We went shoe shopping during our trip to get me a pair of p-p-p-prom shoes. Woot! But the Witch we met there...not so woot. At first, it was just my sis & I who saw her. "Can I help you?", we heard from the corner. We replied no. "Well, put everything back in the boxes.", she stated with an evil glare. Politeness? Check.

As teenagers, we're used to the occasional abuse & disrespect we get from the elderly, (that's right! I called her old. ha!) so we assumed that was the source of her discontent. But no. She was no less hateful when my mom got there. Funny, because the entire time after that, she didn't even look at us. Rather, she spent the rest of her time helping this middle-aged blonde lady, offering to order shoes they didn't have in stock for her. Customer service? Check.

Later, when my mom went back to get a refund for the $5 the cashier had overcharged, the Witch refused to allow it unless my mom provided a driver's license & passport. WTF? Who even carries a passport with them on a daily basis? "It's part of the system madame. It's the way it works here. The computer needs them to do the refund. You know, we're getting too lenient now adays, with refunds. blah blah blah." Yeah, ok. Discrimination? CHECK.

[bt]

p.s. I got a host "family" in France! In quotations because apparently, it's only one person. She lives in the north of France & that's about all I know. It's very ponder-worthy. More deets to come...

1 comment:

  1. this post is 100% shameful & 100% honest. i judged, now don't you dare.

    [bt]

    ReplyDelete