26.2.10

88. Lore


On Food & Cooking: the Science & Lore of the Kitchen (1984, Harold McGee)

I am so ready; so, so ready to just jump, no, to just DIVE into the fundamentals of FOOD SCIENCE. It's calling me. I feel like I'm banging on a door: "Let me in! Let me in!" Or simply very impatient. I'm a kid ready to "bomb" into a pool of plastic balls & they'll jump up in the air around me. THAT is what food science is to me.

Where did this weird passion come from?... Who cares?

I was at a conference yesterday during which at one point, the presentor talked about now being the time of our lives (my class was the audience), the transition period between teenage years & adulthood, where you begin to feel a fire in your stomach, a real physical energy that says to you: That's what you freaking want to do. Even though I feel it more in my heart & it radiates into my stomach & my throat, I'm certain it's the same thing. I think this is the désir I was studying in philosophy. The "want times a hundred".

Nonetheless, it still scares me to "specialize". I don't particularly enjoy the idea of "specializing" in a field. My ideal has always been to learn & learn & learn, but not to dig deeper & deeper in one subject but to broaden my knowledge, to be "trivial", so to speak, & not necessarily an expert. But I think that I can make an exception for food science...

University is making me impatient & so is that book, which I probably already wrote about, I can't remember...

Regards, (hehe)

[bt]

p.s. There's something else I want to talk about but I don't want to jinx anything so just consider it mentioned with this post script. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment