24.3.10

94. Living it up in spring

So the weather just doesn't seem to disappoint; it makes life such a pleasure.

Last week, I went to eat kebab with the twins (Thursday cause we didn't have sport) & may I say it was delicious!! 8/10. We sat on la pelouse by the Hippodrôme, which is where the horses race. I didn't speak for 10 minutes straight because I was so engulfed in my eating experience.

I also really want to tell you about my math teacher, whom I don't think I'll ever forget & it hurts me to think that I only get to be taught by her for one year. It actually sucks.

First of all, she is THE teacher. Ever since I was little, I've had this image of a teacher, and she is it. She's in her late fifties, I would guess, with not a strand of grey hair & you can tell that she doesn't colour her hair. Plus, she against all that fake stuff. She's got pin-straight thin brown hair & I mean PIN STRAIGHT. Plus, she's in the best shape someone her age could be (from what I can see, at least), mostly because she is freaking ENTHOUSIASTIC, which is a very big understatement. It's crazy how much she loves math & loves trying to make us understand. She gets so excited about Pascal's triangle and intégration par parties. & the thing is, I completely understand where she's coming from. I'm just as crazy about theorems and such, but evermore so because of her.

Her class is taught at the HIGHEST DECIBLE-BLE-BLe-Ble-ble...!!! & my host mom calls her the TGV (train à grande vitesse; super fast European transportation system). We are speeding through the year's curriculum but it's still all so interesting!!! I realize that not everyone in my class can agree with me, since math has one of the lowest class averages but I'm positive that no one can deny that she's an AMAZING teacher.

She's got the knowledge of her work down packed & knows everything perfectly forwards & backwards. She's never made a mistake on a problem but occasionally makes a little calculation error if it's last period. Furthermore, she's respected, controls the class without control, laughs at people's stupid comments (unlike some other teacher), laughs at silliness but is usually serious. She's very organized yet laid back, & when she's in the zone, she is IN THE ZONE. Math makes her go & go & if you don't follow, tough luck.

Last thing, unlike some other teachers ':/ , she actually appreciates the fact that I'm foreign & that I have different things to bring to the table. Thank. You! Plus, sometimes, she gives us a brief history course (math history, of course) or shows us her (ancient) calculators or the "old way of doing things". Plus again, she's the oldest of all my teachers & yet the most knowlegeable with computers, which she taught herself how to use. She's open-minded & invites new technology & encourages us to be curious & go forward. Heck, she teaches using computer programs; I don't think ANY other teacher in the lycée does that.

She doesn't make me want to drop Food Sci but she surely makes me want to pursure math.

Here's to Mme Lefèvre. :P

[bt]

No comments:

Post a Comment