11.10.09

50. Fortune

you know that stat: if you clothes on your back, a roof above your head & not hungry, then you're a part of 25 percent of the world's population who have that.

or something along those lines...

25 percent?! you realize that's a major minority, right??? anyway whether that stat is exact or not, i do know that the overall meaning of it is true: if you have those things, then your heckfully fortunate.

so i just came from doing one of my favourite things: sitting in front of a crackling fire, in a comfy armchair, sweatpants, warm socks, legs propped up, hot chocolate in my left hand, chocolate chip cookie in my right & crumbs on my face, i'm sure. the point is that in moments like that, you can't help but take into some deep reflection. i'm my case, the rough draft of this post...

it's amazing really & it makes my heart rise a little cause it feels so light. i came from fortune & with AFS i come to yet another place of fortune, which i'm defining as a situtation where you possess all three of the above listed requirements. it makes me feel like i'm bouncing around in that 25 percent so for a moment, i thought to myself, "ought i have chosen france?"

mongolia, thailand, russia, mexico, brazil were all on the list. did i sneak my way out of a harsh reality? fear? cowardness? or perhaps, i needed a proper education diploma for my return? there were numerous factors in chosing the country i wanted to go to but what i can affirm is that i definitely did not chose france by process of elimination. it was a deliberate choice but i can't say that i wasn't afraid in facing a "poverty-stricken" country (for lack of a better word, & i know that the countries i listed aren't necessarily third world but if you look on a poverty map, they're not categorized as wealthy).

for some reason, i feel like i would've taken more away with me if i had chosen a "poorer" country cause i gotta admit, france is what it seems & it's more or less similar to home. yes, there are differences but it's nothing i can't handle. maybe i just did my research well. maybe i'm adaptable. maybe i'm just eager to travel. maybe i'm only a month & a half in naive & stupid & culture shock hasn't arrived yet.

whoa, this is really steering away from my rough draft...

what i planned to say is that i think above all, the greatest luxury just has to be comfort & it's weird that luxury is defined by swimming pools, labels & wealth. like yeah, we've heard it a million times that rich people aren't necessarily happy blah blah blah... but i'm talking about the moments when you, yourself are in the most comfortable place, like curled up with a book or doing yoga or whatever suits you, don't you ever just sit there & marvel at how you can do what you're doing without care? i think comfort is a beautiful thing & it's ultimately, what people strive for even if some are a little blinded by the green bills.

anyway, i won't go further cause i think you get it.

so last thing, i wrote a rant post on paper about the french school system. it's actually a very good post. i'm thinking about recycling it but i'll probably put it up later, when i feel the feelings again cause it's just negative energy to put it up. i'm too happy to get into it now.

& last last thing, i have a terrible concentration problem where i um...can't concentrate. apparently i'm the only one cause i've been talking to people about it & my philosphophy teacher mentioned it in class (& i wanted to jump up & be like me! me! me! you're talking about me!). i ALWAYS do the "out-of-body" thing where i think about me doing whatever i'm doing instead of doing it. it's like that mirror in a mirror situation & it's hard to deal with when you've got a lot of studying to do.

although it doesn't happen when i eat...:P

[bt]

p.s. i have soooooooooooooo many things to blog about it's ridiculous. but my fingers just can't keep up...

No comments:

Post a Comment